2010 Goals Results
Goal: I was able to take the last two weeks of the year off to reset. It took me awhile to get out of the normal schedule. Sadly, my sleeping never got back on track. I could only sleep 5-6 hours a night. I do need to get this back on track this year.
Result: Still having sleep issues this time of year – I am not going to try to fix it but accept it and try to use the time to actually do something of significance.
1. 2010 â€“ the year of the declutter: We donâ€™t have a lot of stuff but we have enough where I canâ€™t find thing and that is driving me bonkers. I pretty much had a meltdown on New Years Day when I couldnâ€™t find the sewing machine manual and since I havenâ€™t sewn since 7th grade this was a big deal. I will go through every drawer, every bookcase, every box, every closet and anything else that I see. f things are broken, then it will be repaired. This effort also includes emails, digital files, online presence (linked in, website, facebook, twitter). Itâ€™s a BAG but I need to start working towards it so I quit wasting time and energy sorting though the muck.
Result: Started and made some progress. This will be a big part of 2011 as well. We did go through some kitchen areas that were pain points, our closets, kids rooms, some of the basement, switched out living room furniture, took down an end of life tree, cleaned out the office, and had a garage sale. Feeling good but acknowledging the fact that we still have a lot to do.
- 2. Expand workout routine to include weights at least once a week. I started running 2 years ago. Last
year I added the My Fitness Coach for the Wii. I ended up the year doing these 2 things 4-6 times a week
for 45 minutes each time. I usually work out at 5am so I get it done before work. The last couple of weeks have been off quite a bit but I did enjoy the break from the schedule. Once the work year starts, Iâ€™ll be on the treadmill of the daily routine. My stretch goal would be to do weights twice a week.
Result: Worst goal achievement of the year. The first part of the year, I was interviewing for a few jobs and apparently if Iâ€™m thinking about stuff, I canâ€™t run on a treadmill. Then in April or May, my back was killing me. Come to find out I had a bulging disc. That took me out for most of the year. Iâ€™m sure if I did the recommended exercises, I would have been better much earlier. I was in a rut and in pain. I retreated and tried to sleep it off.
3. Use our media better. I want to put together a video recap of 2009 using the footage that we shot last year. It may be a short recap, but I need to start somewhere. I also want to go back and do photo books for 2003-2007. We started doing the Apple books last year. It would be nice to have the series complete for the years that the kids are around.
Result: Video is challenging for me. I did take some training on Final Cut Express but I need to actually do something with it all. This was a big miss last year. I am getting stuck on video storage and feel stressed out about storage of video. This area will continue to be on my resolution list until Iâ€™m producing something. Pictures went better. I actually put together the first annual album for each kid. Now I need to put write up some text for year 1-2. Sadly, my memory appears to be shot so trying to remember what they did back then , it not so easy. Until I am caught up, this too will be part of my annual to do lists.
4. Decorate the house more. We need to update pictures of the kids as well as put artwork up on the walls that are bare. I would like a few more tables/book shelves to display things and store things better. Our house as minimal wall space so the opportunity for tables and flat surfaces are somewhat limited.
Result: Pictures are still not on the walls but we have made huge progress in living room furniture (gave friends our old furniture set and bought a daybed and couch). We also rearranged our office and purchased a bookshelf for the dining room. Now that bookcase houses cookbooks. I love having them more accessible. We bought new concrete. There is nothing more satisfying than writing the check for more concrete. We have a lot to go.
5. Enjoy free time more â€“ set targets and work to get them done but during the other time, completely checkout and have fun. I have been spending most of my time catching up (rss, emails, laundry, etc.). I need to carve out time for relaxing and enjoying family time more. We played Clue yesterday and we had a blast. I need to make sure that those times continue even after I get back into the work mode.
Result: Epic Fail – I feel more rushed and disconnected than ever. Better luck next year.